View Single Post
Old 06-18-21, 06:26 PM
VicBC_Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
For that kind of money, just go to Canadian Tire and buy the CCM Deluxe Bell for $12 plus tax.
The last time I was in a local (Victoria BC) LBS, they had a few bells under $20. I agree with Blakcloud that in-person buying is better than online - a 2 second test of a bell will tell you more than a big description at a website.
Originally Posted by blakcloud
Depending on your province a bell may be legally required so that may play into my next suggestion.
It can be complicated. In BC, a bell (or sound device??) isn't required by the provincial Motor Vehicle Act, but some municipalities have bylaws requiring them.
But the cops never seem to enforce the bike laws that are part of the MotorVehicle Act (no riding on sidewalks, stop at stop signs, ride single file) so I don't think you are likely to be ticketed for not having a bell.
However, if you are involved in a collision with a pedestrian and don't have a bell, you will have a major problem. And sometimes the pedestrians without earbuds/headphones do react when I ring the bike bell, so I'm glad I have it.