Old 08-07-21, 09:37 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Prodigy4299
I think many people would agree with you if he hadn't also been a world class bully. Armstrong not only doped, but he also used his cancer cloak and clout to destroy the lives of anyone who dared to question him.

Also, let's not forget that LA did test positive at least once in 1999, but the UCI president made the findings go away.
The insurance company wants to know how many convictions you had, not how often you think you broke the law. Likewise, being a bully might get you a ticket from an officer for speeding, but it has nothing to do with cycling other than maybe getting others to work for you or not. Lance understood that too. He was so masterful on planning and preparing and I think that is often overlooked.

I know Lance doped.
I know Lance was not a nice guy.
I know he was caught - but never sanctioned (which is what I posted).

My thinking is Eddie was doped most of the time and only sanctioned 4 times. But he was a nice guy and a Belgium. And we already know the list of others that doped and were sanctioned or later admitted it.
For those reasons, I think he deserves to be known as the best TdF rider of all time. That may change in 5 years, but for now, Lance holds that title for me.