View Single Post
Old 10-19-16, 10:35 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Depends on the bike. Panniers affect the handling less if they are weighted low and toward the center of the bike, and if I put a rack on my road bike the weight of the pannier will center behind the rear hub and the bike's handling gets wonky and not in a fun way. Backpack is the way to go there. Within the limitation that it has to be cycling-friendly, ie no internal frame and short enough to not impinge on my neck or butt. So I would say your huge capacity perceived benefit is a bit optimistic. With regard to your concerns:

a) sweaty back is trivial, and where I live it's not hot so it's only ever insulation.
b) I have a wonky back and backpack while riding is never an issue (riding in general is never an issue, it's only off the bike that I have problems)
c) since the capacity is limited, there is no real problem w/ me carrying the weight instead of the bike and for the roadbikes in particular it's better to have the weight on me than the bike anyway since I (think I) can lighten it up same as I (think I) lighten myself up for curb/bunny-hopping etc...

With a touring or cross bike w/ longer chainstays, can put the pannier(s) well in front of the rear hub and the handling of the bike ranges from not affected to actually improved.

ps-> I was a committed rack/pannier person until I tried a roadbike. Now I am a committed fun bike person, and equip it however it takes to maintain the fun.