View Single Post
Old 08-11-22, 08:45 PM
jccaclimber

Bikes: n, I would like n+1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 108 Posts
At the bike co-op visitors often ask me what I think as they are redoing a wheel.
I start by explaining that a properly adjusted derailer doesn’t need an ugly dork disk, and how wheels really do look nicer without them. I can see them getting ready to remove it. I then explain that while they might be good at adjusting their derailers, that I have a few more questions. Are they willing to bet that they’ll never make a mistake? Never have someone bump their bike and bend the derailer hangar while they are away? Never have the bike fall over on the drive side? I might relay a story of one of the times that happened to me and I had to straighten it out in the field because I know I won’t remember not to fully up shift in our hilly area.
Are they willing to bet that they know better than the manufacturer, and are they certain enough to bet potentially walking home, a ruined wheel, and a new derailer on none of those things happening? I ask what the potential upside of removing it is? Minor aesthetic improvement on a parts bin bike? A couple grams on an old steel frame? A feeling of superiority with the spandex clad roadies (of which I am one)?
I then point out that while my bikes don’t usually have spoke protectors, I’ve gotten lucky a few times, have spare wheels, and don’t depend on my bicycle as my primary transportation. I also wear a helmet on a bike, and seat belt in a car. At this point I let them know it’s their bike and their decision, but that I want to make sure they have all of those things considered. At this point they usually opt to keep it, and I congratulate them on their wise choice, and let them know they can always come back if they change their mind down the road.