Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Inexpensive lights will not be seen enough in daylight. Expensive lights are a waste of money and scarce energy resources in daylight. It does a disservice to the PSA aspect of a topic to observe that it "probably wouldn't have helped. But maybe". If it's that 50/50 I'll save my money and ride more situationally aware. I'm living proof that you can ride decades in heavy, urban traffic and never get hit. Use Hi-Viz in daylight, use as much or as little light as you need TO SEE, at night. Use whatever safety geegaws are necessary to BE LEGAL in your locality, and the rest is up to your defensive riding skills, and maybe, very good luck on rare occasions.
High vis doesn't stand out as well on the shaded side of a cyclist in morning and evening hours. It doesn't stand out nearly like it does in full sun. The prudent cyclist will use a cocktail of strategies to enhance visual conspicuity, from lights, to high vis colors (especially on moving parts like the head and legs,) to lane positioning. The smart cyclist will use situational awareness as their most valuable tool.

I got laughed at here when I suggested that the constant movement of high vis socks and shoes could be useful in helping cyclists stand out. Since our lower bodies will often be obscured by vehicles, it makes sense to use high vis helmets as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...qtsP3MyVyAg_69
Likes For Paul Barnard: