View Single Post
Old 09-11-22, 03:15 PM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
Inexpensive lights will not be seen enough in daylight. Expensive lights are a waste of money and scarce energy resources in daylight. It does a disservice to the PSA aspect of a topic to observe that it "probably wouldn't have helped. But maybe". If it's that 50/50 I'll save my money and ride more situationally aware. I'm living proof that you can ride decades in heavy, urban traffic and never get hit. Use Hi-Viz in daylight, use as much or as little light as you need TO SEE, at night. Use whatever safety geegaws are necessary to BE LEGAL in your locality, and the rest is up to your defensive riding skills, and maybe, very good luck on rare occasions.
Why are your replies almost always critical and/or negative? I've found your posts to be so negative over the years. Really gets old. And they're oftentimes misleading or counter-productive. This post matches that description to a T!

Now perhaps I should have defined "inexpensive." A $60 rechargeable set of lights is "inexpensive" in the grand scheme of things. Compared to the $350 night riding systems I've used over the 30 years, $60 qualifies. Compared to a $3,000 bike, $60 is inexpensive. Compared to a $120,000 Tesla, $60 is really cheap. Compared to a $2,000,000 house, $60 is nothing! Riding in and among these "high-priced" things, $60 is a total no-brainer, especially when YOUR LIFE IS AT STAKE! But today's lights are even that much better. That said, you can EASILY find a $40 set that's just as bright. Brighter and longer-lasting than many light systems costing 2X or 3X as much 10 years ago.

But the point is this: Drivers are hurried, distracted, selfish, ignorant, lawless, stressed, irresponsible, homicidal maniacs right now. Now lights won't help against the homicidal drivers (they'll aim better!), but lights will indeed help against most of the others.

And the experienced riders out doing their big mileage on narrow country roads will benefit too. As I said, the bright light / dark shadow conditions I mentioned are a considerable danger. Even more crucial knowing you'll be encountering some "older" folks enjoying their sports cars whose vision probably isn't as good as it was 30 years ago. In other words, doesn't matter HOW much experience you have when that 70 yo Porsche 911 driver apexes a turn across the centerline in the shade and takes you out. Lights are a no-brainer in this situation. (Oh but I'm sure Leisesturm will rebut this statement will all sorts of argumentative verbiage.)

As someone who uses a both a bell AND 90db horn, a reflective vest, a rear-view mirrors, involved in bicycle advocacy, participated in early Critical Mass and has been riding for 48 years in almost all environments, I feel pretty qualified to say "I get it." And what "I get" now is how smart lights are.

And any relatively new rider? They'll benefit from lights way, WAY more than those of us who've spent decades "duking it out" on our urban transportation "hellscapes" for decades.

But be happy Leisesturm, no one is MAKING you use a light. Isn't freedom nice?

Last edited by LV2TNDM; 09-11-22 at 03:22 PM.
Likes For LV2TNDM: