Old 09-26-22, 09:18 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
if workable, moving it to the front would further mitigate running risk and avoid immediate replacement.
I understand your concern, but think it doesn’t account for tubeless behavior; catastrophic flatting is not really a thing with tubeless. Therefore, my assessment is that flats are more likely in the rear, a cut is more likely to reopen in the rear (due to weight distribution), and the odds of that particular cut reopening on the front are extremely low.
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
...or just patch it with a $1 tubeless specific patch and don't feel it necessary to change 2 tires.
I’m not familiar with these tubeless patches meant to go inside a tire under the tread, but it sounds like a real PITA to do, raising the question why not just use a plug repair, which is a whole faster and easier and just as permanent, if not more so.
I mean, the tire in question is sealed, so I’d be reluctant to do anything more than try to fill the tread cut to keep debris out, but if I were worried about it, I think stuffing a “bacon strip” in there would be my approach to a permanent, durable repair.
To recap, you suggested someone remove both tires so the cut tire can go on the front then set both back up tubeless, but you think it sounds like a PITA to remove 1 tire and patch it then set it back up?
1 is half as much as 2. If 1 is a PITA, what is 2?
Likes For mstateglfr: