Old 09-26-22, 09:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Did Continental drop the TL version of this tire? It seemed weird to me that they were selling both the S TR (tubeless and hookless ok) and TL (tubeless, but not hookless ok).
I think they are still selling the regular non-tubeless GP 5000, correct?

I'm also curious to hear what kind of prices people are seeing. I haven't shopped tires in a while, but a quick glance at online suppliers shows the S TR selling for around $70-$80/ea, and the regular GP 5000's selling for around $50-$60. This doesn't seem to be all that different than what I recall these tires selling for 9-10 months ago.
I'm not sure what they're doing with the non-S versions, I just recall that they said they'd only be doing the S in one flavor, for both tubes and tubeless. I haven't looked in to it, but along those lines, I wouldn't be surprised if the TL had an air-tight lining and the S TR didn't; it would make sense - less mass and rolling resistance, tube users don't need the air-tight layer and, in practice, I don't think that too many tubeless users were running without sealant.

Excel was selling two-packs of 25mm S TR for... I want to say $120 or so. If they would have offered that in 28s, I probably would have picked some up.
Likes For WhyFi: