View Single Post
Old 06-05-19, 09:20 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
I've written most of this elsewhere. But the first time? I can't really pin that down. in 2010 after a knee replacement I got serious about getting in shape again. I was 300 pounds. After the knee replacement I used the bikes to work at the knee first, but got riding more. That led to a crash in 2011, breaking my back and neck. Proved I wasn't indestructible, much less worthy of full gonzo riding anymore. I will say, I do NOT recommend that as a weight loss method, it is not fun, nor is it sustainable... Took me 3 years to even get on a bike. And due to some nerve painmeds, I gained a significant amount of weight.

Three years ago, or so, I was having some issues and I knew weight was a factor. But I wasn't serious about going forward. Then that summer, my right knee had a meniscus tear. And I had a heel spur on the back of my right ankle. I managed to walk my daughter down the aisle a few months later, but was in serious pain for it. And in Dec of 2017 I had surgery to remove that heel spur, which had cut 75% of the way through my achilles tendon. During that recovery. I decided I needed to lose weight. Over the next 6 months, I did lose 30 ponds. And at 330 pounds, I decided to seek surgical help. I started the rocess towards bariatric surgery. But family events stepped in the way big time, my Dad had cancer. And it took him quick. Took me a long time to get myself in a good place to deal with surgery. By this point I was 378. A bit over a year ago. I had quit trying to ride my bike on the trainer even, as the heelspur made soft pedaling painful, and as my weight increased, I felt like I was going to topple over on the bike on the trainer. I did not feel safe...

My right knee is failing. I had sprained my left ankle shortly after the right heel surgery. And it was not getting better. Weight was the problem. A sleep study proved I had sleep apnea and needed a CPAP machine. I had fluid building in my legs. My A1C numbers were climbing, my blood pressure was high, even on meds. And a cardiologist scared the crap out of me... I got back on the bariatric program...

Last October I had Gastric Sleeve surgery. I had lost 22 pounds in the previous 6 months. I was in a cardiac rehab program. I felt pretty low...

OK. I'm down 115 from this time a year ago. My right knee is still failing, but is manageable right now. I had physical therapy for my left ankle, and it has responded well. I'm off BP meds. My A1C numbers are lower than ever. My cardiologist doesn't need to see me till NEXT year. I'm off the cardiac rehab program. My exercise heart rate is where my RESTING rate was a year ago. I can BREATHE better. My pressure for my CPAP has been reduced, and my next sleep study may show I no longer NEED the CPAP. My resting heart rate is in the 50s, low 60s, but has been 48 and 49 more than a few times. I am back on my bikes. I'm riding with my grandkids.

I'm pleased so far. But, I want to get to 240. Just 23 pounds more to get there. I never thought I'd be 263 again. But here I am. I was wearing 4x shirts. 54 pants. Now, I'm in 2x shirts, but 1x/xl fit. (I've even had on a LARGE that wasn't terribly tight!!!) I just bought a couple pair of size 42 shorts. I wore 40s when I retired from the Navy 18 years ago. Last time I weighed 240... At 240, I will re-evaluate my weight goals. But for now, riding my bikes, hitting the gym, staying active are my main goals. Keeping my new relationship with food is not a goal, but a lifestyle.

I'm 56. And I wish I had done all this differently. But you know what? I am doing it differently now. But I'll always be a clyde as I am 6'1"...
Likes For zjrog: