View Single Post
Old 07-26-21, 09:21 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by el forestero
For someone who likes 80 to 200 km rides and long climbs, what's the best 58" frame road bike likely to be available now or by late August for around $1500, give or take a few hundred $, whether purchased online and shipped to the SF Bay Area or purchased at an LBS in/near the Bay? I'm partial to aluminum frames, though carbon fork, seatpost and/or wheels would be fine.
Any of the big names (Specialized, Trek, Giant, Cannondale, Bianchi) have nice aluminum framed bikes at that price or close to it.

Availability is pretty bad right now but I'm a big fan of trying as many bikes as you can until you find the right fit. I think geometry and fit are much more important than components. However, at that price I would stick with 105 or Ultegra level components if you can (though I suspect you will have to get Sora or Tiagra which is probably fine but I have no experience with them). If you can find a shop that will do a proper fitting and has a good reputation I would stick with that. I'm in the same area and love Mike's Bikes, the Bicycle Garage and Centripedal.

Palo Alto also has some great shops.
Likes For Symox: