View Single Post
Old 07-28-21, 07:31 PM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 677 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 182 Posts
[QUOTE=steelbikeguy;22162006]well, I guess the question is "what part is coming loose?".

The candidates are:
1. adjustable cup
2. fixed cup
3. crank arm is coming loose on the axle, which gives the impression that the bearings aren't adjusted properly.

I'm guessing that you have to adjust the left cup to tighten things up, which wouldn't point to the crank arm coming loose.
Is the lock ring loose, or do you have to loosen it first before adjusting the left cup? If it is still tight, that suggests that the right cup might be backing out.

Photos would help, as always.
A video of you checking on the looseness and tightening things up might not hurt either.

Steve in Peoria
(I'm betting on the right cup coming loose, just in case it wasn't obvious )[/QUOTE
I don’t think it’s the right side cup because I couldn’t get it off the first time so I serviced the bearings through the left side. I did notice that the caged bearings fit pretty tight against the cone