Old 06-18-17, 05:50 PM
01 CAt Man Do

Bikes: Mountain bike & Hybrid tour bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
I've noticed many cyclists are too polite to say anything about uncomfortably bright lights used by fellow cyclists.

Fortunately the experienced safety monitor at the back of the pack on many of our group rides will mention it if someone's lights are too bright and distracting -- including mine when I first began using the Hotshot. I was actually grateful for the feedback because I wasn't sure how it appeared to someone behind me at night. I'd only tested it in the store, where it's difficult to be sure about the relative brightness on dark adapted eyes.

Two of my three bikes have dimmer blinkies, bright enough to be effective but not overpowering for group rides. And I have a Blackburn 2'Fer on the back of my helmet, which is right at the limit of being almost too bright on flashing mode, but so far nobody has complained.
Yeah you're probably right. Most people won't say anything. I would though ...that is if it was just too over-powering. I'd be nice about it though.

I also have one of those cheap Amazon COB type rear lamps that shouldn't be too bright for a group and the light is more dispersed. Still, the low steady mode is suppose to be 50 lumen and that's still pretty bright when up close. I do have a pair of lights that are much dimmer. Those likely would be very suitable for a group ride. Funny but even the cheap $10 lights I own are brighter than some that I've seen some people using. I've been tempted a couple times to wind my window down and ask the person using one of those ( too dim lamps ) just where he bought such a lousy rear light.