View Single Post
Old 12-04-21, 06:48 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Not enough. Strava says 4800 feet in 61 miles. I usually aim for a mile and ideally, 100 feet/mile. But my friends don’t all share my climbing passion.
That's about what I did. The club had a 95 mile ride with over 7500 feet but three of us started on the other side and rode up to meet them then rode with them to the base of their return climb, then the three of us slackers turned back. Of course we had 15+ miles of headwind then.
The other group was about 8 good climbers but by the time we split with them it seemed like they would be cutting it close with the sundown.

My ankle hurt, my back hurt, and I felt like a fat slug but the last 20 miles was fine and I had a good time. On the way out they stopped for coffee and I went ahead and did the next section by myself. One of them put in a TT trying to catch me but he did not. I got to the stop first and chatted with 3 super fit looking guys on gravel bikes and they described their ride to me. They were buying beers at the store and they were heading to a long climb and planned to drink the beers at the top.