Thread: Di2 thoughts
View Single Post
Old 08-24-21, 10:58 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I think the part I may have forgotten is about the stuff to make it work.

The lever and caliper combos I’ve seen seem to mention pre bled. I guess that means they come with hydraulic lines.

Upthread I mentioned that the frame is already drilled for Di2 internal routing. So that should help.

I need a battery and it can go inside the seat post. I like that idea. I’m sortof thinking that if it has to go on the outside, that’s a deal breaker for me. I like my aesthetics.

I need a charger, I guess it’s sold separately, not included in the package. I definitely want a system that I don’t have to take it apart to charge. So that’s another add on.

And I need a junction box, maybe two? I don’t know. The pics I’ve seen online have something strapped under the stem and something else on the frame.

It gets a little confusing but it seems like I can get one that fits inside the handlebar (probably would need a predrilled bar for that).

So I guess my concern here is being able to get the whole thing done internal. Without bunches of wire or boxes strapped to the outside.

That would probably be the biggest advantage of SRAM. Just screw stuff in and open the app.

It’s an expensive enough project and just enough beyond my expertise that I’m tempted to just walk into a shop and have them tell me what I need. But what’s the fun in that?
First, study this website. It will list exactly what you need to build a Di2 shifting system. Also, take a look at the diagram on page 32 in this manual. Hopefully TerryDi2C will happen along, he has devoted a lot of time to deciphering everything Di2 related, including some off the books troubleshooting, and he owns/built the website linked and he also hosts many of the Shimano manuals.

As the poster above noted, ignoring wiring for a moment, there are basic hardware items needed to make a Di2 system. Some are mandatory, like the levers, battery, junctions, and at minimum the RD. One is not, the FD if you’re building a 1x system. To make things easy, there are no “dummy” shift levers, as noted above, this provides flexibility and later add on options that consist of buying a at minimum only wire and a FD if you’d like to convert to 2x.

A couple of thoughts to help answer your questions above, and provide more info:
1) a frame predrilled, molded, etc., for Di2 will get all the cables and battery inside the frame. Depending on your bars, you may have cabling exposed front he inside edge of the bar tape to the frame entry points (usually on the down tube).
2) If buy a kit*, the charger is usually included. *Kits are sometimes a full gruppo, or sometimes just shifters and derailleurs, and always include the junctions needed.
3) There are two types of A-junction, the original type that have either 3 or 5 ports and are mounted under the stem, or the newer round type that can be fitted in a bar end (assuming at least one drilled hole near the bar end), or in the frame or seatpost assuming a properly sized hole and mounting hardware. Remember, the A-Junction is where the charger plugs in also.

It’s not hard to figure out once you first determine the components you need, and map out the wiring. THe real hurdle will be sourcing everything right now, due to parts shortages/availability.
Likes For Badger6: