yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
and using TPU tubes and a decent set of light tires gives you really everything you need in that they will be very light, fixable or replaceable on the go
This is what kept me on clinchers to this day despite always having had tubeless-ready wheels and being mildly tubeless-curious every now and then.
In the case of 28mm GP5ks, clinchers with TPU are fuss free and come in at around 100g lighter per wheel once all the goo and hardware is calculated in with the heavier tyre.
I don't spend thousands on sub 1400g 45mm wheels just to add 200g back on, particularly when the 28mm clinchers measure 30mm on the rims and I can run them at an ideal for me 65-70 PSI with no issues anyway. Another factor was the messy flat I helped a friend with on the side of the road one day, the bike came set up tubeless (Giant does that, without even talking to their newbie customers about that) he was on clinchers the next day. I would love the extra potential safety of self-sealing, particularly for crazy descents, and I would not even care about the more involved setup, but I think the 200g issue tips the scales to date.