Old 07-13-22, 10:08 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 438 Posts
yeah, like most things, these ways to attenuate wind 'noise' are personal evaluations.
i certainly think it's worth trying any and all to see what might work for each of us. given the cost, the longterm improvements and noise reduction are worth the efforts.
I have not yet tried the 'WindBlox' full ear 'covers', but I have seen 2 riders who were using them. At 1st I thought they were ear warmers, because it was 'winter'. But after a while I relaized they were only lycra/spandex fabric.
I'm gonna 'McGiver' something similar from some spandex I have - give it a try... and report back... my noise reduction requirements are pretty high... it's not just 'tinnitus, I do have some significant hearing lose in the higher audible frequencies... get something cobbled today ! LOL!
Ride On
Yuri

EDIT: so I just came back from a ride using my McGivered FULL EAR COVERS - like the Windblox full ear covers
made from some spandex I have lying around, only one, relatively thin layer... I'm too embarrassed to post a pic, it's pretty 'Green Acres' looking, but very functional, with no loose ends to interrupt wind flow... and the helmet strap fit snug around the head, so no air intrusion under the strap/cover.
They worked pretty well. Wind noise attenuation was much better than just the helmet strap version, but less 'well' than ear plugs.
Still, here's what I found, on relatively still air sections (so 'apparent' wind speed at the speed of bike) at 10 & below mph wind noise was very low, much lower than without any attenuation. At 12 mph, wind noise became obvious, but not worrying. At 15 it was quite noticeable, about what would be 'without' attenuation at 10 mph. At 17 it wasn't much more than 15. At 20 mph it was annoying again - which happens usually at 15 mph...
it was a sizeable improvement over the helmet strap models.
also, they weren't hot, in spite of some very strong sun... fabric is black spandex...
I think I can 'improve on them, by adding another fabric layer inside. I think 2 layers would work better than just one thicker fabric layer. More attenuation because 2 separate layers might better break up the turbulence reaching the ear... ? gonna give that a shot, will report back...
This is very interesting...
A consideration: is it kookie ? too kookie ? prolly not too kookie for me... LOL!
I really didn;t notice any dis-comfort from the actual wear/use - when I wasn't trying to 'note' the wind noise level, I quickly stopped 'noticing' them...
but coming back into an 8 mph headwind, they didn't attenuate enough - hence adding another layer to see if that can improve the function...
more upcoming in a few days...

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-13-22 at 07:26 PM.