Old 07-27-10, 10:17 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts
The Competitive Clydes Thread - Post your races and events!

Seems to me that there is a bit of a gap in Bike Forums between the slightly 'hard-core' racers in the skinny sections (aka road bike and racing forums) and the 'in it for the fun' racers in other places.

I'm hoping that we can attract a few more of the Clydes and Athenas who compete in events (of any type, at any speed) to post up some fun pictures.

I'll start with this weekend's effort...

Shenzhen Red Bull Cup crit (Guangdong Province, southern China)
B Grade, 7 laps, 42km

It was a bit of an expedition for the Hong Kong Colossi Cycling Club boys, but we all had fun anyway. Multiple vehicle swaps (can't drive directly over the border) and some fun rolling bikes through immigration control. It was very hot, in the high 30s degC, and very dry. Riders were going to suffer all day.

Before the start with the other B Grader from my team. TJ is over 50 and finished 12th!
jonnyandtj..jpg
We were due to start at 10.30, but finally rolled about 12.15. The 25 minutes spent in the roll-call and marshaling area was nasty hot. My feet were baking. Garmin said 51degC (I'm taking that as a good reflection of how my feet were feeling). Due to the late running program we are now 5 laps, sprint on lap 3.

The start (I'm far right):
bgradestart..jpg
Off in the group with my aim being to stay with the pack for at least one lap. Low goals, but I suck and I know it. Fast first half to the lap with the speeds hovering near 45km/h between the corners. I was having trouble keeping up with the acceleration after each turn, but managed to hold on to the tail of the leaders until the last two corners when I popped off the back using my famous 'reverse breakaway' technique.

Officially dropped at end of the lap (yep, that's my sorry backside to the left of the pic)
jonnyofficiallyd&#.jpg
Spend next 4 laps grouping up in ones and twos, trying to keep it all moving. Nothing too exciting as it is pretty much a solo training ride now. I'm much stronger on the short climb (overpass bridge - up and over, hair pin turn, back up and over) than most of the riders - computer says max watts 580 - but not strong enough on the flat - average watts 170 - to be able to maintain the pace solo. Strange that at 210lb/95kg that I would be the fast man up the rise.

Before last lap a bit of aggression from a small group of mixed riders - basic gist was "let's push it home", "let's not get lapped", "let's look good for the photographers". Things were going well until the exit of the 2nd hairpin on the last lap when the acceleration of the corner killed me, my HR spiked, and I was done.

Plenty of riders coming in behind me and most importantly, my first official crit finish (ie no being lapped and forced to drop out!). No official or translated results yet, but the guys tell me I came in about 30th from about 60 starters.

I've just finished and I'm feeling very sorry for my self. Note the very aero race number.
jonnyfinish3..jpg