Old 07-28-10, 07:39 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting new thread, and inspirational to boot. Back when I first started riding seriously, maybe 30 years ago, I got down to about 212 and entered a number of what were then called "Citizen's Class" criteriums and circuit races that were always held in conjunction with the sanctioned class races. I was never real good, my best finish being 3rd in my first race, followed by mid-pack finishes in several, and dropping out (or being pulled) from others. I raced in Illinois (Galesburg, Bloomington, Leroy and Crystal Lake), Wisconsin (around the square in Madison), and even Athens, GA, in a circuit race around the UGA campus (the organizers couldn't believe I drove all the way from Illinois to ride in it, but I had a friend to visit in Atlanta, so it was a good excuse to go). It was all unbelievably fun, other than the being pulled part.

Still, now that I'm back in the weight-loss game, and cycling again, I'm not sure if I want to put myself through that special kind of misery again. For one thing, I don't even know if they have Citizen's Class anymore, or if whatever non-licensed class they may have is age-segregated. I don't feel the need to put myself out there against 20 year olds. I did that when I was their age and can't see that this time around would work out any better.

But, I'm certainly looking forward to reading about others' exploits.