View Single Post
Old 08-09-22, 06:55 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
I think all sknhgy is saying is that he or she would replace this chain with one that's 1 or 2 links longer when it comes time to replacement, because he or she doesn't like how much tension the current one has in the big-big combination.

sknhgy, while the predominant method of sizing a chain is to use the big-big method to ensure there's just enough slack, I typically favor less chain tension, and I use the small-small method...in other words, make the chain just short enough to where the chain doesn't drag on itself when in the smallest possible driveline combination. This usually leaves plenty of room on the big-big combination. This also results in a chain with less tension than most people prefer, but I don't ride aggressively to where I want that extra tension to help avoid chain slap on the chain stay or for chain retention, etc. I find that, with just a little less tension/more chain length, the driveline is quieter and seems to pedal more smoothly. This, of course, requires your derailleur to be able to clear the big sprocket in low gear...which of course circles back to the original question and response...where shortening the chain just a little bit can sometimes help a situation with marginal clearance.
Likes For hokiefyd: