View Single Post
Old 09-09-16, 01:32 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
Ride Across Iowa in 3 days!! Broke the string of 100 milers. Only 93 miles today.Took backroads again.

For the first time on these rides I just felt tired at the start. It was al lI could do to turn the pedals. I had several HTFU conversations with myself.I reminded myself this was for fun,I was out riding because I wanted to andjust take what the road gave me.

After about 30 miles I found my groove, picked up a little helping wind and rode the next 35 miles in a zombie state doing 20-25 mph. I even zoomed past my sagsupport without even noticing!

On to Illinois!
Originally Posted by Jim fromBoston
… your pictures are very photogenic, and particularly illustrative in that they nicely capture all the elements ofthe Ride: the terrain, surfaceof the Road*, lighting, [and loneliness]etc., so relevant to a cyclist, and as I remember them on our cross-country ride.

jp,you obviously freely chose …the Roads you are now riding,with tough, as well as sublime riding conditions. IMO … how you handle these conditions tossed your way, brought on by your choices, represents your Character.
Originally Posted by Carbonated
What difficult conditions yet you persevered!
You are one hell of a cyclist!
FWIW, I have previously posted about my mental techniques to overcome the sameness of my routes.
Originally Posted by Jimfrom Boston
I'm very motivated by novelty, and stymied by boredom on a bike, but I do have the motivation of commuting to work. I have foundthat when I drive my frequent, decades-old routes I often notice things I had not seen before. I think it’s because I can look around at more than just the road surface when driving. So when the commute [route] is getting too familiar, I just raise my head higher and look over a wider field of view….

One other whimsical technique on familiar roads is to imagine I'm riding with a certain fellow BF subscriber from the Midwest I enjoy reading, and I'm showing him around on my route. I particularly enjoy having visitors to Boston and take them on tours…
Originally Posted by Steven Wright
”I have an imaginary friend, but he won’t play with me.”
So jp, if you need an imaginary riding partner, you can call on me (if I can draft ).

Originally Posted by jppe
...(Anybody reading this stuff??? Getting too old???)
Originally Posted by Jim fromBoston
It just occurred to me that this is the first time I have followed a tour (or long race, e.g. TdF, RAAM) consistently in approximately real time.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
So, jppe, I hope you don’t mind us spectators glomming and reminiscing on to your Ride threads…
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Tanlines?
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Nice pics. With our warm PNW days = I wanna see 'tan lines'!
SEE BELOW

Originally Posted by George
Yes, I'm checking in everyday. So far, it looks like your having a great trip. Ride safe.
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
<--- I'm still reading your posts every day. You're doing great on describing each section in details that would probably run all together in your mind and be lost if youdid the whole story at the end.
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yup, reading every day and enjoying it immensely.
Originally Posted by dhender02
I'm reading your post EVERYDAY and throughly enjoying it!! I even go back to some of the older posts when I see a new comment posted and/or for reference.Definitely living, errr riding, vicariously through you.

Keep the posts coming!!

Not sure what I'm going to do when you finally make it to Boston, maybe chair the JPPE Withdrawal Anonymous group..
? jppe's junkies

I previously posted to this thread in 2014, “did you track your miles in 2014?”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I don't want to hijack this thread, but your story might be an interesting topic for the Touring Forum; how do you do a segmented, presumably connected linear Cross Country Ride?

Or maybe the OP and subscribers of this thread would be interested too, since we all seem to be mileage junkies ("Hi...my name is Jim, and I'm a cycling mileage junkie. It got so bad that I even rode in the Winter...I had to hide it from my co-workers and family...")
"Hi Jim..."

BTW,at this point in the ride, is it becoming less a tour and now a way of life, totally dissociated from everything before? Is this your longest ride? As usual no need to reply, but otherwise welcome; but this is what I’ll ask you in Boston.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image_zpsii1tkipq.jpg (97.2 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-09-16 at 08:19 PM.