Thread: Taking The Lane
View Single Post
Old 03-11-19, 11:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7653 Post(s)
Liked 3,485 Times in 1,840 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I usually have some sort of road rage incident during most rides. But fortunately, since I started running a camera, I have come to realize that most are pretty minor, and seem much worse when I'm there on the bike, than they look on video when I get home. And most of the ones I was sure were "clearly intentional" were just "sloppy driving" with little or no malice towards me attached.

I do think it's easy to overreact to close passes, I know I sometimes do, while there are other close passes which are arguably more dangerous, that I find myself not reacting at all to. Upon reflection, I realize my own emotional state is usually the most critical factor, so I have forced myself to be more tolerant and forgiving (while still running the camera).

"No Harm, No Foul" is my motto these days, along with "Keep the camera running" and "Stay Calm". Works for me at present.
I agree with @I-Like-To-Bike (and if you think I enjoyed typing that, you are crazier than both of together.) @Lemond1985 has come to the best solution.

Here is the key:
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Upon reflection, I realize my own emotional state is usually the most critical factor ...
That is why I tend to blame cyclists who Always have drama, every single ride. If you expect it you will find it.

I was surprised to see how many times I would initially get upset at some driver who made a decisive move to pull into traffic ahead of me or across my path---safely, but rapidly and forcefully---before I realized that that was, in fact, better driving---the guy kept traffic moving, didn't get held up &which can create dangerous frustration) and took full advantage of a sufficiently large opening to get on with the show--in other words, the exact kind of thing I would have done. But since i was startled (to see proactive driving) I would initially get angry ... and then feel foolish.

Another thing which taught me how much depended on my perception ... when a line of cars would be passing me, i'd be fine ... but if one driver nailed the throttle in a loud car, i'd feel scared for a second ... and then realize he was also making a completely safe pass, but in a loud car with a lot of power, so when he hit the gas it Sounded like something big was going on.

I still see (rarely) a very stupid driver, but I see a lot more careless or distracted drivers who don't really pose any threats and don't really come too close, but could trigger a fear reaction if i was already keyed up. Now I notice how courteous most drivers are, and how rare the really stupid people are.

But the other day (Maybe March 7?) I was heading home at the end of rush hour on a narrow, little-used road. Some guy came by and he and his two elementary-school-aged kids screamed out the window. That Really annoyed me. Go ahead and be a butt-head---but really, teaching your kids that stuff? When one of them finally startles a cyclist enough to cause a wreck, I doubt the dad also taught the kids to stop and render aid.

But ... no harm, small foul. Not worth thinking about for more than about 30 seconds. I had a bike to ride, I was too busy to worry about the decline of civilization.