Old 10-11-20, 11:52 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
The cdc data isn't wrong, it's just a major error in logic to assume that, if covid isn't the only thing on the death certificate (and politics may play a role in what gets put there), that it isn't the true cause of death and individuals would still have died without it. If someone were to do the same analysis for the flu, they would find an even lower percentage of deaths where the flu was the only factor that contributed to death. Also, have you seen the data about cadiomyopathy (that's permanent) in young athletes who get it? That'd be scaring the **** out of me if I were the parent of a young athlete.
For the cycling athlete in their low 20s it is an assumption that are not carrying those 3.6 average condition. I would think they are carrying about none. It is hard to compete with any condition that might also be a contributor to death.
I admit I do think the P/1 cyclist in the low 20s is in that group that most likely has no other conditions. They are easily within the top 10% of their age group in health.

Our experience was that when competing as a teen and maintaining super low body composition he'd get sick too much. He'd get sick maybe 2-3 times a year and of course those were not recorded statistics. In the case of COVID leanness is not a liability for death.
He was faster when healthy, but it really messed up a few of his Euro trips. It was also a reason to stop cycling being that if you are fit enough to win, you are more susceptible to getting sick. You have to cut the social life, and being around people etc.
But that is what competitive cyclists need to do. True older ones likely have a bit more fat and resistance.