Old 09-03-21, 01:02 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 846 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
. If the chain slides off this pulley, it may be because the teeth of this pulley are worn, as Iride01 suggested, but you apparently misunderstood because you replied "plenty of cogs."
hmm... cog is how a sprocket tooth is called , although many people use cog and sprocket (or gear) to designate the same thing, and tooth to designate a cog. What I meant is that the jockey wheel's teeth (cogs) are still very much present and not that much different from a new one, but I also know that diagnosing visually a worn set of cogs is very difficult (shark teeth etc.)

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
[...]
2. If the teeth of the existing pulleys are not worn, disassemble them to clean all components, apply lubricant on all metal parts (Amazon.com : DuPont Non-Stick Value Pack : Sports & Outdoors) and reassemble.
3. If #2 does not solve the problem, buy new ones. You can upgrade to the next higher Shimano tier, but no point to buy the aftermarket ones for touring.
I've cleaned the jockey wheels and it appears to have solved the problem. But perhaps not. Time might tell. OTOH, I've ordered a replacement set of XT jockey wheels (quite up there in terms of Shimano's MTB hierarchy, similar to Ultegra for road). I'll switch the jockey wheels and see if I still get shifting issues.

Regarding aftermarket jockey wheels, there are plenty, other than the very expensive ones made by Ceramic Speed and such. Amazon has plenty of aluminium+ceramic jockey wheels in various sizes at prices that are comparable if not lower than those of XT wheels. Reviews that I saw are inconclusive. I was wondering about them as well