View Single Post
Old 09-05-21, 10:35 PM
rholland1951

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked 1,750 Times in 891 Posts
Saturday was beautiful, and I took the GT East, for the usual round of hills and traffic.

A couple of the hills had newly striped bike lanes, a surprising amenity. Lower Main Street, in Melrose, had new striping to pilot protected bike lanes on that busy thoroughfare. The pavement is a little rough, but this does seem to be an improvement, and if they repave and restripe, it may become a very creditable Complete Streets application. There are rumors of bump-outs, and other pedestrian amenities, as well.

High Street, between West Medford and Winthrop Square, has received repaving and redesign. Each climbing lane is now paired with a bike lane. Descending lanes get "Bicycles may use full lane" signs and sharrows. And the pavement is smooth as a baby's bottom.

Fellsway East has functional bike lanes, here marked as such, there simply appearing to be ample breakdown lanes, but in all cases serviceable for the purpose at least as far South as Salem Street. This isn't new, but saw them with fresh eyes.

My legs have come to crave the hills, and the little pilgrimages to the stupa at the Kurukulla Center cheer me.

Sunday, the weather wasn't exactly sullen, but it wasn't brilliant, either. I had a quick sprint up to Lexington Center on the Minuteman, cranking hard and people-watching, and sometimes just watching out for people.

rod

Last edited by rholland1951; 09-05-21 at 10:47 PM.
Likes For rholland1951: