Old 09-14-21, 10:41 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Sandstrom
Nice Bike!! I recently picked up up a set of Tiagra 10sp rapid fire shifters to use for an upright bar conversion for my Ultegra 10 x 3 equipped bike. These are nice shifters, solid metal build and they work a treat. Even if you don't need the front shifter (since it sounds like you are going with a 1 by setup) a pair can be had for a reasonable cost and you can throw the front in the parts bin for a rainy day

Good luck with the build, would love to come across something like that!
Thanks for the tip. What's the SL-### part number on that, out of curiosity, I'd love to dig up more info? Disregard! Ended up going with M6000 non-window units. Got RH 10s one, need to find LH 2/3s one! Got some tires while at it too.

I've had some movement on this bike during the last week, finally. It's been fully washed down, I've started carefully cleaning up the only rust I could find, at the bottle and rack bosses.

One possible direction became a little clearer as of yesterday afternoon when I got this Deore XT chainset. I already have a Deore RD-M591 long cage rear (I think supports 9s/10s) and RD-M590 which supports 3x10. Looks like 1x10, 2x10 or 3x10 are all viable directions now. Latter seems like overkill but I like the idea of 1x considering no front mech, less cockpit clutter, etc.

I posted over in the Bicycle Mechanics forum for some Octalink advice (link) so I can maybe finalize my direction. Ultimately, I'm only lacking tires and either a suitable 8/9/10 rear freehub body to swap on my RM40, a rear complete 8/9/10 rear hub to lace in, or a complete wheelset. Ideally, I'd love to find someone with an RM40-8 complete hub, looks like it may be a direct freehub swap, only the flange position seems to differ.

Ideal goal moving forward is one of these two, possibly with one being an intermediate step to the other.
  • Go with a 1x10 / 1x11 setup ... I see at least the RM4050 and T3000 hubs support up to 11s using MTV freewheels (like CS-M5100-11)
  • Aim for an interim 2x9 / 2x10 setup to ride while exploring options for a suitable secondary rear wheel, rear mech, rear cassette to support the above 1x
I think I'll probably go with the latter of those, since all I lack to get there is shift levers and some attention to the rear wheel. We'll see!

Last edited by francophile; 09-22-21 at 07:17 AM.