Old 09-24-21, 12:20 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
21.1 stem options for dirt drip mtb conversion

I'm just considering it for the moment. My '86 Ross Mt Hood has a 21.1 threaded headset/stem and I'm actively searching for quill stems 'cause I"m gonna need a tall one to make it happen. I've seen the chrome steel sunlite versions and the like, but I'd rather go aluminum, if possible. IF that exists! So far, I"m not seeing any, but maybe someone knows if there is something? I'm not opposed to steel so you know, but those sunlite ones look a little too ....mmm...dept. store/murray/huffy like, if you know what I mean. Wald has the same type, btw

Failing a decent and appropriate stem, anyone ever reamed out a 21.1 steerer to 22.2? OR, modified a 22.2 quill to fit? OR, maybe go half way on each....the steerer and a stem?

FYI, I'd like to go in the Cunningham'esque tradition, to give you an idea (Cunningham roller cams and all that). I've wanted something like it for forever, and this seems like a good candidate. Maybe it's a stupid idea, but ya never know until you ask around sometimes.....