Old 09-24-21, 04:01 AM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Originally Posted by degan
First of all congrats on considering the drop bar conversion, a huge upgrade for any rigid frame MTB in my opinion. I had the same problem with a early Mongoose MTB that used 21.1 because Mongoose did mostly BMX stuff at the time. Luckily I have sort of long arms and didn't need the bars all that high so I could get away with a AL quill road stem from a Schwinn. Are you 100% sure a standard quill road stem won't work? Something I almost did until I found my stem was to just switch the fork out for a 22.2 fork and and headset to see if that worked. You might have to re-use the cups and piece together some threaded 22.2 headset parts that fit the cups but as long as the fork fits through I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'd do that before I'd alter the original fork. Or get a donor 21.1 fork and ream that out. I'm sure you know threadless adapters are out there, its just too bad threadless stems are the ugliest bike part in existence.
well, thanks! it is certainly something i've wanted to do for a long time, but never had quite the bike for it. (although i have a scott tampico that might qualify for a dirt drop hard tail. time will tell when i get to it)

i'm quite sure a regular 22.2 quill won't fit. i tried the very first thing. i have a chrome velo orange 17 degree riser stem that has just the right height and reach (and, appearance), but alas....no go

i will never swap out the fork on this ross. it uses roller cam brakes front and rear. and, it's chrome..as is the whole frame, so it totally goes with the package

i did consider adapting a threadless stem to it. the only one that would even be close to looking right for the vibe of the bike would be something like the velo orange cigne stem. but, that sucker's expensive. and, it has a 31.8 clamp. not doin' it...haha. it would look to "chunky", i think.

anyway, all points taken and i'll have a look at things with them in mind....