View Single Post
Old 01-04-22, 05:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 4,006 Times in 2,675 Posts
I would love to hear the LBS' side of the story as I have a feeling the stories might not be close to the same. However yes having known a lot of people who lack the tools and knowledge to work on their bikes especially at the level of spokes it is not uncommon to have some reservations and wanting to see the bike. I have had more than a few say I need this length spoke and then come back and say "no I need different" or "you sold me the wrong length spoke" and I go and use the Park Tool Spoke Measuring ruler and it measures to what they asked for and show it to them.

You are not the normal type who comes into the shop or asks for these things. Daily I get people wanting stuff and they are hemming and hawing because they aren't sure sometimes they will point to a random bike they don't own and say "it looks kinda like that" and we have to see if they are sure enough so we aren't having to take back used service parts that we cannot sell to someone else.

Also spokes are typically measured in MM not CM so that could be an easy red flag for someone. Not that CM is not a valid measurement and it isn't hard to convert but coming at it like that isn't always a good way to go about it. However regardless I am curious to hear their side of the story and see how close they match up. I have heard enough stories over the years.