3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Outstanding. I hope the "Fire Hot" sign was clearly visible.
...initially, this was why salvage yards were reluctant to deal with stripping oiut and reselling the batteries.
AS time went on, this became less of a problem. Again, the economics of reuse of these wrecked car batteries has played a large part.

Yup ..... so they reuse the containers, but the chemically spent rare-earth cells? Who knows?
...no. They replace the cells that are not up to spec. Those that still work are reused. Given that it's Japan, if I had to guess, the spent cell disposal is regulated.
Again, this technology is in its infancy, as is BEV battery technology. But I guess we can all throw up our hands and just decide it's impossible.

I don't know the current status of this Japanese facility. I have not followed it in the news. But Nissan, at least, was once firmly focused on this sustainability model.
The old batteries have also been experimented with in electricity storage banks. Just because they will no longer push a car 140 miles doesn't mean they are useless.

Originally Posted by Maelochs
The fact that we care so little about crapping in our own food and water supplies already doesn't fill me with hope. Waste disposal is usually determined by the "cheapest method for which we are not likely to get heavily fined" factor .... including burying under neighborhoods and dumping down storm drains.
...this sort of waste disposal is the subject of substantial legal regulation here in California. Will it work ? I can't guarantee it, but the economics of it will (and have) dictate(d) parts of it.

Last edited by 3alarmer; 03-27-23 at 08:44 PM.
Likes For 3alarmer: