View Single Post
Old 04-25-23, 11:38 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,024 Times in 666 Posts
Hempstead Lake State Park

I have been riding in Hempstead Lake State Park for two or more years now. I found that I enjoy riding on trails far more than I like riding on the road. I still like riding on the road though. I know that the state has been working on the area north of the Southern State Parkway. This Sunday, I finally rode in there. This is a nice addition to the park. The trails are dirt or cinder, which I prefer to asphalt. There was some erosion from the rains on Saturday night, otherwise the trails were in good condition.

There were other people riding and walking on these trails as well. This will become a part of my regular Hempstead Lake Ride. By the way, despite the reputation and the number of people that come to the park when it is warm out, it has been great for riding and the people that I meet there seem good and friendly. Morgan Park to the south of Hempstead Lake State Park has also been updated with trails. The ride from Hempstead Lake State Park is not the most interesting in that it is parallel to Peninsular Blvd. and Morgan Park is small. There was a Muskrat that I have seen twice, or perhaps it was two different muskrats at South Pond that was good to see. There have been Eagles seen within the park recently.

This board is in the parking area just off of Eagle Ave. If you park there, you will have to pay for the privilege. There is also an Elm Street access that may have free parking or street parking. I live close by, so no need for parking.

I have been hoping for enough snow these past winter to cross-country ski in the park, but it hasn't worked out.