Old 06-24-20, 09:49 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
A few things to consider:

What's great for the road may not apply on a 44 degree banked track. On the road, one rides on the center of the tires most of the time. On the track, one rides on the side of the tires a significant percentage of time. Just look at your tires and you'll see this, especially if you have a one-sided rear wheel or a directional front wheel. After a while, one side will have worn more than the other.

Going to a bike shop these days, you literally have to go digging deep in the bin for tires more narrow than 25c...and then you'll get weird looks as you check out, "Do you mean to buy these?"

As a heavy rider, I've found that wider tires at lower pressures don't feel as "planted" as 19-23c tires at higher pressures when on steep inclines.

Further, tires with lots of meat on them will move laterally when at high speeds in turns (think of the big high speed dive at the start of a F200 on a 250M track). There is a lot of lateral force on the tires right then. This is evident by the horizontal striations on the tires. Not sure if you'll get those on indoor wooden tracks, but I've seen them on all of my tires when riding on outdoor tracks.

So, for those reasons, I never liked riding wider than 23c tires with not a lot of rubber on them.