Old 12-17-20, 08:05 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by niliraga
wasnt this the seatpost bolt arrangement preferred by Miyata? I have kluged around this problem before, using a "tall" allen-headed nut from MTB brake pads to match the bolt. It worked, but I needed to use two allen wrenches to adjust the post -- your solution here is far 'correcter'
There are pictures of the brake-nut method here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ta-1000-a.html

I agree that the OP's method is a great one--it matches the Miyata original. I wish I'd thought of it. But it's still kind of a pain--the slotted nut doesn't give a very good grip when you want to tighten the bolt. Of course, it's also a pain to have to carry a second allen wrench when using the brake-nut method, but it's arguably even more inconvenient to have to carry a slotted screwdriver.

As wonderful as the old Miyatas were and are, whoever was in charge of the company's binder-bolt division had some strange ideas. The worst setup of all was the one requiring a non-standard hex nut to fit the recess in the lug--break or lose that nut and you're really screwed. I'm eagerly waiting someone to come up with a good solution for that one. I have tried to do that and failed.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash

Last edited by jonwvara; 12-17-20 at 08:08 AM.