Old 12-27-20, 07:25 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by texaspandj
Saturday is suppose to be my run (outside) day. But I rode with my biking Buddy and of course he wanted to ride mtb. So funny that I kept telling him for a couple of months, mtb is so much fun. And he was like whatever, but now he's all about it. Meanwhile I'm ready to move on to "serious" bike training.
The thing is mtb is very much like doing intervals... well at least the way I do it, or is it my lack of conditioning to blame?
Of course we're on vintage mtbs, so No wide bars, No shocks, No disc brakes, No sloped frames (well his has one), No 29 inch wheels. But the thrill and bike handling learning curve is there.
He's always leading and is much more familiar with the different trails. Also a little bit more of a risk taker compared to me. Plus he's 25 years younger and currently in better shape. So I chase him, follow him, and help him up when he crashes. Oh one more thing, he has 3 chain rings, and real mtb tires. Meanwhile I have 1 chain ring (the middle), and street tires. When I have to walk a incline that he rides up, I remind him of those things. His reply is exactly what I would say, " well get you some mtb tires and put your rings back on". My reply is exactly what he would say, " But then I wouldn't have an excuse for walking".
Here's a pic of our bikes and snapshot of our ride that he sent me. How crazy is 2 hours and only 9 miles?

Just thought I'd share.
Cross training is always good.