View Single Post
Old 04-17-14, 10:04 AM
whizzkid14

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
noob needs help before buying battery..

hi every one, been looking through the site and I must say its very good indeed I would be great full if some one with more experience could give me some advice..

right then. I have a very basic understanding on bike battery's but im stumped on some things namely this..

I understand that on batteries volts x ah = watts im looking to purchase a 36v 800w ebike kit of ebay. now I understand that the wattage wont be 800 watts more like 20amps x 36v = 720w and then they add up the extra to make 800...

The battery iv been looking into is a 36v 10ah lithium battery. when working out the batteries watts I do my volts x ah and this makes 360watts and this is obviously half the wattage of the controller.

my concerns are this. if the battery can give out 10 amps but the controller wants 20amps will this burn out the battery or will it mean that the motor will take 20amps but drain the battery twice as fast as if I was running 10amps?

sorry if this seems confusing. but really do need some advice asap . I live in a very hilly area and will have to use full throttle to get me up the hills but didn't want to spend £250 on a battery that will get burnt out on the first hill because the controller wants more than the battery can give

. iv looked into the smaller wattage kits but they don't have the torque that the 800w kit has (40nm).. I'm aware I could just buy x3 12v 20 ah SLA batteries but would want to avoid that. sla's don't really belong on a modern ebike and the cheapest 36v 20ah lithium / lipo battery is near on £400 and I aint got the money for it.

I look forward to your replys

many thanks whizz-kid