View Single Post
Old 10-03-13, 09:18 PM
itsmedc65
Banned.

Bikes: Schwinn Jaguar(Cruiser), Bianchi Sport+Comp (700c), Aerobic Cruiser, Giant LaFree, Tidal Force S-750 (Pedal Only)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
The price I was quoted for the AC was $1500, but that's largely because the model is discontinued. It appears to include a number of parts that are either proprietary or at least hard to find from other suppliers. That makes it a bit of a risk if some critical part breaks and can't be replaced.
Which parts are you considering "proprietary"? If you mean finding a plug and play solution for each of the electrical components then that might be true. But from what I saw of the spares on hand when I picked my AC up at the build facility in Cordova, TN I think parts will be available for at least a couple of years and possibly quite a bit longer.
If someone is will to work at it a bit most issues can be resolved with an equivalent solution.
A motor / controller don't care what kind of batteries or what chemistry is suppling the voltage and there is certainly plenty of room for your chemistry of choice.

The controller? AC used the BAC1000 made by ASI in Canada. And while they may or may not survive for decades like some of the forklift and golf cart controller makers they seem to stand a better than average chance. One of the major ebike kit providers (Justin Le of Grin Tech) has a posting on another forum earlier this year that Grin Tech has contracted with ASI to make the boards for a new line of controllers they are begining to produce.

The motor? A MAC 7T geared hub motor that can be ordered from multiple suppliers or replaced with a variety of other geared or direct drive hub motors. I will give you that the cover configuration on the one in the AC is a bit different.

The connectors? Molex connectors used on the bike are in widespread use by the auto industry and should be available for over a decade.

The battery? There are reputable providers of LiFePo packs in custom configurations especially a 36 volt type pack.

The only truly "custom" parts on the bike are the frame, battery enclosure, the huge front chain ring and the clamp for the handlebar on the Ritchey stem. Everything else is available from suppliers that have been around for many years.