gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,802 Times in 2,286 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Gugie, have you seen those BB thread repair rings that are threaded Ital on the outside and Eng. on the inside? So after you get it tapped Ital, you can still use Eng/ISO cups. Ceeway carries the repair rings. (Go here and scroll down to the bottom.) I have a set, amazing to behold, probably not easy to make. The rings could be fixed with red Loctite to become effectively a permanent part of the frame, and no one need ever know what you did... Maybe ethics demands disclosure in the event of a sale later, but honestly I believe this repair would be good as new — better than new on some frames that had crâp threads to begin with.

They're exactly like a Helicoil, except they're not coils, and not Helicoil brand. And the right-side one is RH threaded inside and LH threaded outside.
As Albert Einstein almost certainly did not say, "The only difference is that there is no cat."

Mark B
Thanks for that!

I'm vaguely remembering having someone else told me about these eons ago! BITD I remember one of the LBS's I worked at that reminded me to "put a note in the BB" if I ever retapped to a larger size, so a future owner would know what was going on!

Thanks for the reminder, Ceeway tends to have odds and ends that no one else carries - but Peter's been around longer than our stateside vendors. I might have to look through his 1990's designed website and see what else I can order from him!

Have you retapped English to Italian before? Does one ream a bit to remove threads first, or can you "force feed" an Italian tap on the adjustable side, then use that to center the tap on the fixed side?