mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
Center turn lane - no.

Right turn lanes. It is something I constantly encounter going along and adjust in a few ways. It is also a place I find myself watching my mirror closely.
- If it is a right turn lane at an intersection with traffic slowed. I will generally get to the through travel lane and just line up behind traffic.
- Sometimes there can be an extended right turn lane and traffic isn't yet backed up in the travel lane. In that case I am more likely to ride on far left side of the right turn lane, until I am close to the intersection.
- Sometimes on more rural routes there can be both sparse high speed traffic and a right turn lane. I am a little more likely to stay on right side of that turn lane and get myself across the a little later at the end
- Some bus lanes in Austin are marked as a combination of "bus" + "right turn" + "bicycle" and I will also follow those.

In general, I monitor the traffic behind me. I will also try to get either to left side of right turn lane or right side of the through lane. I also try to line up with traffic in the appropriate lane through intersections. However, in some instances both both high-speed traffic and not very busy traffic, I am inclined to stay longer on right side of the road and watch behind a little longer to come left on the right turn lane.
Likes For mev: