Old 05-27-22, 03:25 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I did a one by 11 conversion on my wife’s 24 speed townie bike. It was a bigger project than I anticipated. I had to get a new pair of crank arms because the original were riveted with a bolt pattern that does not have chain rings. I reused the bb and found a 104BCD square taper crank set in my parts. I used a cheap narrow wide 38 tooth ring from Amazon. Ironically the most expensive part of the crankset was the chain ring bolts. I wound up buying a Wolf Tooth set. The shifter and cassette and derailleur were all Shimano SLX M7000. I actually started out with an NX shifter that shifted it fine but my wife didn’t like it. She liked the EZ fire shifters the bike came with and the SLX shifter was closer. Even though it doesn’t have the release trigger on the top, you can still reach it with your index finger. This all worked great but the bike was stolen at a campground pretty soon after. I wonder if it was stolen mainly for its derailer and etc. We found her a replacement bike that was very similar but I haven’t done the conversion again. I think if I was buying everything new from the ground up I might also get her a PNW dropper suspension post. She likes to flat foot the bike.

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 05-27-22 at 03:36 PM.