View Single Post
Old 05-28-22, 07:09 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,469 Times in 1,146 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Thanks!
I tend to pack really calorie dense things. Things like Jif peanut butter in the squeeze pouch. Honey in a squeeze bottle. Tortillas. 1/2-1 ounce of olive oil per day (careful!) Hard boiled eggs keep a day or two & hard/dry cheeses keep for many days more. Pre-portioned oats, cranberries/raisins/currents, & shaved almonds make for a hearty breakfast. Some basic produce like carrot or two for crunch, a potato or two to boil if the time is right or maybe a mid-day apple or two to gnaw on...& of course gummi-worms for emergencies () to break up the monotony of carb, oil, protein. Nothing glamorous. It's strictly a numbers game.
I'm not really a fan of Mountain House or freeze dried anything like you find at the local outdoors store on account of the sheer amount of single use package waste that has to then be dealt with & disposed of or carried around.
Originally Posted by staehpj1
Interesting. I am impressed with both of your numbers. I don't think I ever got under 2 pounds per day for food. If I use you 10 pounds of food number, I could just get to his 16 pound number with my mostly low tech gear. It would be easier with the application of some high tech $$$ fabric and so on.
That all said a 7 day food total for backpacking is moot for me because I never go 7 days without restock or supplementing of some sort. I some time ago set myself a pretty firm limit of 4 days beyond which I do some kind of resupply. ...
I think I run a calorie deficit of maybe 500 to 1000 calories a day when bike touring in remote areas where food is difficult to find or when backpacking. I bring the same type of food when canoeing or kayaking, but that is a lower exertion activity so the deficit is smaller. But I have plenty of extra calories in body fat that I can afford to lose.

I was chatting with a couple of neighbors a few years ago, learned that they did the AT. I asked her what their packs weighed at the end, she started to say - we started with, ... you asked at the end? I said yeah, I don't really care what the start was, but I was curious about how little you had at the end. My memory of the exact numbers could be wrong but I think that she said hers was 12 pounds and her husband's was 16. I assumed that was without food or water. She said they did not have any extra clothes, wore the same clothes every day. (I suspect they had extra socks.) She said about once a week they would stay at a motel, one would put on his or her rain gear and sit at the laundromat while their clothes were getting washed, the other waited naked in the motel. And at the end, they would have had to have warm clothing, so that probably made the packs heavier.

Last summer when I was backpacking on the Superior Hiking Trail, every through hiker I saw, I asked how many days of food they typically carried, ranged from 4 to 6 at the start of a segment.

Yesterday I spent a few more hours planning my backpacking trip this coming summer. My plan is to start with six days of food on each segment, but I plan to do each segment in five days, the sixth day of food is contingency if my knees blow out or for some other reason have to travel slower. A couple of the campsites are dry, will have to carry water a couple miles to each of those, was mapping out water spots as way points in my GPS route yesterday to make sure I have water when I get to the campsites. Planning for three segments, five or six days each, or a bit over two weeks in total.

Some months ago, someone asked what I carry if I am carrying over two weeks of food which I have done for biking in remote areas or kayaking where there are no stores. I am sure both of you have it all figured out for food, but if you are curious what I use, that write up is here:
https://www.bikeforums.net/21674202-post25.html

After my Iceland bike tour my Dr told me I was low on protein, so I specifically include counting grams of protein per day in my planning. And that in part is why some meat with lunches and suppers, along with plans for a protein bar each day.

And I have diabetes, need to run a low carb diet. Typical american diet is to get 45 to 65 percent of your calories from carbs, when at home I try to average around 30 to 35 percent from carbs. Biking or backpacking for hours each day helps burn off excess carbs so I can eat more carbs on such trips than I can eat at home. That said, I still can't eat the typical american diet that is very carb heavy, even when biking or backpacking or whatever. The pasta noodles I bring are Dreamfields that somehow makes the glycemic index on their noodles lower, so even though pasta meals have lots of carbs, that brand of noodles does not mess with my blood sugar as much.

Backpacking, I carry the butane mix types of stoves to keep weight down. Backpacking last year burned 38 grams of fuel per day, bring 50 grams per day to make sure I have enough. Bike touring, kayaking and canoeing if I am bringing liquid fuel stoves, I am more wasteful in my fuel use, occasionally have some extra coffee or some hot cider, those trips range from 46 to 56 grams per day of fuel, plan for 65 to make sure I have enough.