View Single Post
Old 05-28-22, 11:00 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
We are seeing a wide range of opinions on weight and volume here for tent or shelter, ranging from a bivy sack without any hoops for support to a big enough tent to hold bike(s).

When I consider how much weight I am willing to carry, I base that in part on the effort to carry it.

Backpacking where my muscles expend a lot of energy to carry the weight, whether it is uphill, downhill, or flat, the weight is really critical.

Bike touring, my leg muscles expend some energy for more weight, but on flats or downhill the extra energy is minimal. Uphill, the extra weight in terms of theoretical work is comparable to the exertion in backpacking. In other words, weight is a consideration but much less of one than when backpacking.

And canoeing or sea kayaking, weight is almost meaningless. If I add 10 pounds of weight to my boat, it paddles just as fast. There is some weight concern depending on the route, if there is more portaging over hills then weight is more important, like in backpacking.

It is all personal preference. I am happy to carry more weight when carrying that additional weight is not much additional exertion and leads to more comfort and convenience. But, I try really hard to reduce my weight when that extra weight means a lot of exertion. And that goes for the cooking gear and everything else.

When I did a bike tour in Florida Everglades and Florida Keys, at times I was wishing that I had brought a few more conveniences since the ground was so flat that it would not have meant much additional work. This is one of the bigger hills we had to climb.

They however do have man-made hills, they are the approaches to bridges. And they are higher than three or four feet.
Likes For Tourist in MSN: