View Single Post
Old 08-02-22, 12:11 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
I have a 1.25" hitch now and do not want to go to the expense of switching that out now on a 2009 vehicle. I have an old style rack that holds the bicycles by the top tube and seems to do fine(for two), it sways some. I am only usually transporting one bicycle.
Not a reason to avoid a 2" rack. Just get a 1.25 - 2" converter. That's what I did on my Subaru. Use an anti-rattle clamp (look it up) between the 1.25 receiver and the 2" adapter and it will be rock solid. Even without the anti rattle clamp, it still works fine, just makes noise and has a bit more movement. Just don't be an idiot and think it actually turns the capacity of your vehicle into that of a 2" receiver. But a bike rack is the same whether it's on a 1.25 or 2" receiver (allowing for a slight difference in torque and therefore carrying capacity because of the extension...irrelevant for the weight of a bike rack).

It is just as stable as it is on my 2" receiver. People who think it's less stable because of the adapter are plain wrong.