View Single Post
Old 08-08-22, 09:09 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
2.) First concern was what if a tire went flat on the bicycle while driving. Google searches said not to worry.
3.) Since I had a $69 dollar rack previously, I was not worried about theft. Now I am. Going to look at getting a u-lock and lock the rack to the hitch. This would also solve the concern of the post coming out. They give you a Velcro strap for this but in no way would it stop the rack from falling out. When I am traveling and staying over night at a hotel or camping I will just disconnect and put it in the back of the SUV. It is very light and compact.
#2 - if you wish to make absolutely sure, either use a couple of 1UP Wheel Locks or a velcro cinch strap around the bottom of each wheel similar to what came with the rack.

#3 - the strap is intended to prevent the rack from wiggling out of the receiver if it should loosen, and is plenty strong for that purpose. Just make sure it's tight. I also check that the rack is tight in the hitch receiver by giving it a wiggle as I walk by.

For brief stops while traveling I use the Hitch Bar Lock which I thought was included with the 1.25" Quick Rack now, along with a couple Wheel Locks as referenced in #2. The ability to fold the rack makes it easy to stash inside a trunk or back of an SUV for the overnight stops where you'll be taking the bike inside.