Old 11-07-22, 05:17 AM
JoeKahno

Bikes: Bridgestone Albelt with a second Bridgestone chain drive as a backup

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by daniell
I also have this condition. Soon I will need cataract surgery on my good eye. I don't know what to expect. Unfortunately it is 70 years too late to correct the problem.
Actually it may not be too late. A couple decades ago there was a clinic in Florida doing trials on an experimental technique. I don't recall all the details but their research showed that in cases where the master eye was lost completely later in life there was roughly an even money chance the weak eye would regain something close to full function. A bandage or eye patch wasn't good enough. The brain had to get the message that the strong eye was *gone*. In the article I read they were getting positive results by inserting a slow release anesthetic pellet behind the good eye adjacent to the optic nerve, effectively simulating loss of the eye for several weeks.

I didn't pursue it any further because I was self employed at the time, couldn't afford to take the time off and had no interest in risking possible permanent damage to my primary eye. However, it's something I've kept in mind in case my master eye is ever badly injured. I'd certainly consider having an eye that has lost most of it's function removed if there was any possibility the remaining eye would come back online.