View Single Post
Old 11-07-22, 06:56 AM
daniell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeKahno
Actually it may not be too late. A couple decades ago there was a clinic in Florida doing trials on an experimental technique. I don't recall all the details but their research showed that in cases where the master eye was lost completely later in life there was roughly an even money chance the weak eye would regain something close to full function. A bandage or eye patch wasn't good enough. The brain had to get the message that the strong eye was *gone*. In the article I read they were getting positive results by inserting a slow release anesthetic pellet behind the good eye adjacent to the optic nerve, effectively simulating loss of the eye for several weeks.

I didn't pursue it any further because I was self employed at the time, couldn't afford to take the time off and had no interest in risking possible permanent damage to my primary eye. However, it's something I've kept in mind in case my master eye is ever badly injured. I'd certainly consider having an eye that has lost most of it's function removed if there was any possibility the remaining eye would come back online.
Thanks for your informative reply. I got through life for 76 years so I will just hang on. If I cover the good eye I can walk around with the bad eye. I can read if it is very close. The opthalmologist told me that if he corrects my bad eye too much, I will see double. The brain won't accept both images. I don't know what will happen after cataract surgery. My bad luck. The larger cataract is in my good eye. The doctor said that cataract surgery may only help my bad eye very little. I have to return to the doctor in six months. I may need the surgery then. He slightly changed my prescription.