Old 02-09-23, 09:26 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
@T-Mar and all!

I purchased a bike with a repainted frame, primarily for the B.E.L.T. seat for $120 Canadian. Advertised as a Bianchi. I assumed it had been stripped of the good parts and rebuilt with a mix. Seller seemed to be honest, just not into bikes. I bought in an evening and then the cold snap hit and so I just removed the seat and left the bike in my garage. Assumed it was a Japanese made frame set.

Serial number is LS321511.

I tried your serial lists for KHS and Hodaka as they made frames for Bianchi and their number system didn't seem match this serial. Unsure what I actually had, I posted it as a thread and was told, no - not a Bianchi. Not overly worried as it was cheap and if I were just to strip it I'll not lose any money.

Can you Id it? Could it be one that follows the "S(1) (Japan): MSyxxxxx" format??

I've attached a photo of the serial number

I'll go see Jody LEE at Jester and have him decide it the "rake" issue is worth adjusting.....

LS321511
Well, the serial number format is consistent with Bianchi's Japanese source and would indicate a 1984 model manufactured in December 1983. There's not much original left on the bicycle including the paint. The post looks small for the Columbus SL/SP decals and there were no Columbus models manufactured in Japan at this time. The presence of dropout eyelets point towards a lower level model. Assuming you picked this up in Canada, I'm leaning towards a Bianchi Bici I or Bici II. The post diameter may help to identify the model.