Thread: JohnnyNerdOut ?
View Single Post
Old 11-29-21, 02:18 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Lastmohecken
He pushes modifying an existing bike, instead of buying a readymade E-bike. And he also recommends the mid-drive motor over the rear hub motor.
Modifying an existing bike with a hub conversion kit is definitely the least expensive way to go if you already have a bike compatible with the kit you're considering. I opted to install a Class 2 front hub conversion kit (that comes with a 100% complete wheel with tire and tube mounted) from Hilltopper Bikes on my hybrid commuter for $550 & FREE shipping (throttle, full wheel, and battery included). It goes 20mph on the flats, 15-17mph up hills, and ~30 mile range. The kit has a thumb throttle only and no pedal assist or torque sensing, but that's exactly what I wanted, just the ability to press the variable thumb throttle to have the hub give me some assistance when I wanted it when going up hills, and completely off at all other times, when I'm under my own power.

Last edited by Riveting; 11-30-21 at 09:10 AM.
Likes For Riveting: