SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1950 Post(s)
Liked 1,475 Times in 1,022 Posts
Originally Posted by mara777
Should it be possible to adjust the derailleurs so that the chain doesn't rub on the side of the front derailleur cage in any of the chainring/cog combos? Even in big chainring/big cog or small chainring/small cog? (I know cross-chaining should be avoided)
First, when you said big and small, you are referring to physical size, rather than whether it is easier or harder to pedal, right? You did not specify how many speeds the RD and cassette are. For example, Shimano documentation indicates that the 3 or 4 physically smallest cog of an 11 speed cassette cannot be used with the small chain ring without rubbing.

I ask because, no matter what I do, I can't eliminate chain rub in the biggest/smallest cogs. The chain rubs on the inside of the front derailleur cage when on the biggest cog, and it rubs on the outside of the front derailleur cage when on the smallest cog.

I question whether the front derailleur cage is bent (narrower than it should be). It's extremely difficult to shift to the big chainring. If I make adjustments so it is easier to shift to the large chainring, the chain rubs on the inside of the front derailleur cage in every single other gear.
It sounds like your FD is not properly adjusted. What is the specific model of your FD? In my case, Shimano FD-5800, I got better results from following the steps in the Shimano dealer manual rather than the Park Tool video.

I took the bike out for a ride yesterday, and it rode/shifted much quieter and smoother than it had been originally.

Currently, there's some chain rubbing while cross-chaining, but also when on big chainring/smallest cog (not very intense at least) and also on small chainring/biggest 2-3 cogs.
The chain will always be noisier at an angle than when perfectly straight. If you mount the bike on a work stand and pedal and shift, do you see or hear any actual rubbing between the chain and the FD cage, or is it just noisy? Also, have you checked whether the chain is worn?