Old 01-14-18, 12:38 AM
woodybr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
College Cruiser

Hi all,

I'm currently a graduate student in the US, but originally from Brazil. I really enjoy beach cruisers for their design but mostly their comfort and I wanted to get one for myself. I would love some advice!

I would use it mostly to get to and from class, a nice ride by the beach (the campus is on the beach, mostly flat and really bike friendly) and to go grocery shopping.

Now, my current problem - as always - is budget. I'm only guaranteed to be here for 2 years - the duration of my Master's. After that, I will either go back home or move somewhere else for work. As I don't own a car and would probably move by plane, I would probably need to sell the bike closer to the end. Accounting for the difficulty and effort to sell, I'd prefer not to spend too much on the bike. A $200-$300 range would be my max.

So, what I'm looking for is a new (I haven't been able to find anything worthwhile at the local cl) men's beach cruiser, with a few speeds (I have to overcome hills once in a while) and handbrakes (I'm really not the best with coaster brakes).

I've seen the Electra Townie recommended over and over, but it is unfortunately way over my budget (any model above the base 1-speed).

I feel like I have three choices: buying at the local campus bike shops - already assembled bikes, usually grossly overpriced for what I've seen; buying a bike online and assembling myself; buying a bike online and having it professionally assembled (bike+shipping+assembly would still need to be within the 200-300 range).

With that in mind, there are a couple of bikes that have caught my interest. I'd love to hear your opinion on those as well as suggestions of bikes that might fit my needs/constraints.

The Mango Macaw 7
Save up to 60% OFF Mango Macaw 1 Speed Cruisers from bikesdirect.com

The sixthreezero Around The Block
https://www.amazon.com/sixthreezero-...911748&sr=1-14

Thanks for any info and have a great year!