View Single Post
Old 03-21-22, 02:22 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 582 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
Not to disagree with you in anyway... but just to point out the irony of the forward person, having to have a mirror, to see behind and avoid the person who is approaching from behind that has a clear view of the rider right in front of them.

Sure, mirrors are great, and I ride with one. But I wonder about the magic of windshields, that do not permit drivers to see cyclists in front of them.

(yes, there is sarcasm in that... as likely a cyclist that is "hit from behind" happens as a cyclist makes a lateral move, in front of an approaching vehicle the cyclist failed to notice.)
Sarcasm noted and appreciated!
I guess the "struck from behind" can be subdivided into those occurrences where the approaching vehicle is encroaching on or invading the rider's space, and those where the rider makes a sudden lateral move. The "magic of windshields" applies more to the first category, I believe.
It's a bit ironic that the first Ride of Silence was in memory of a rider who was struck by the mirror of a passing school bus. Yet, if you look on the RoS web site, very few mirrors are in evidence, and there is no mention of them. Of course, it is only a hypothesis that a rearview mirror could have prevented the event, but it seems clear to me that there's no other good way to detect such a vehicular appendage approaching from behind.