View Single Post
Old 06-21-22, 03:44 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 622 Times in 346 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
One thing that gets wearisome on long rides is the constant wind noise - am I’m not talking about windy days, which has their own special weariness. I used ‘the Google’ and learned there are about 4 basic solutions. 3 are basically alike in design and the fourth is like a soft clam shell which goes over the ears - no thanks unless the weather is freezing. So, I decided to put vanity aside and purchased Cat Ears brand noise reduction thingies which attach to the forward helmet straps. They disrupt the airflow and divert it from directly entering the ear.

I test rode a pair today and the difference was remarkable, and even more-so when descending at speed. Showed the Mrs and she now wants a pair. So if you are bothered or get tired of wind noise and aren’t afraid of looking a little goofy, try these or another manufacturer on your helmet. On Amazon I queried bicycle wind noise reduction.

Yes, ear plugs would work, but I still want to hear what’s around me too.
A way to make helmets quieter without an "add-on" device is to simply twist the straps that go in front of your ear. This requires unthreading the straps, twist, and rethread. It is a significant noise reduction, though probably not as much as with a device.